Del Mar College Continuing Education and the DMC Music Department have alternative programs available to keep kids active this summer. Camps include:
• June 1, 8, 15 and 22-23 Del Mar College Summer Orchestra Program for High School String Players to Participate with the Corpus Christi Chamber Orchestra: High school-aged string players––including violin, viola, cello and bass––are invited to play during the DMC Chamber Orchestra’s annual summer concert scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday, June 23, in Wolfe Recital Hall (East Campus Fine Arts Center Music Building). Rehearsals are 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday evenings June 1-22. Registration is $40. For more information, contact Todd Ehle at 698-1223 or email@example.com.
• June 12-July 21Del Mar College Vikings Kids Camp allows students to explore new academic areas, upgrade basic skills, create special interests, meet new friends and participate in a structured, informative, non-pressured academic environment. Classes offered during one-week sessions Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until noon for students entering third through fifth grades and 1 to 4 p.m. for those entering sixth through eighth. Youth can choose from a variety of courses related to science, math, art, reading, social science and foreign language. Students can participate in numerous hands-on activities and projects to sharpen their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Tuition is $75 for each one-week session with youth able to sign up for several classes. Registration is open until Friday, June 9, at the Center for Economic Development,(3209 S. Staples). Students’ Social Security Numbers are required for registration and this year’s report card. For more information, contact Del Mar College at 698-1328 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 12-16 46th Annual Del Mar College Viking Band Camp, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Richardson Performance Hall and Fine Arts Center Music Building, East Campus, Ayers at Kosar. Seventh through twelfth grade musicians interested in continuing their musical pursuits can have fun and meet new friends while attending the Music Department’s Viking Band Camp. Activities provide students opportunities to enjoy music making with encouragement from leading South Texas music educators. Camp includes honor and concert bands, percussion ensemble, brass ensemble, woodwind ensemble, jazz band and various chamber music ensembles. Go to www.delmar.edu/music for more information and registration form or contact the DMC Music Office at 698-1211 or Dr. Abel Saldivar Ramirez at 698-1608 or email@example.com.
• June 19-July 27Del Mar College Kids Technology Camp: Students have a fun opportunity to explore various areas of computers in a structured, non-pressured academic environment. Classes are offered during one-week sessions Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until noon for students entering third through fifth grades and 1 to 4 p.m. for those entering sixth through eighth grades. All sessions taught at the Center for Economic Development (3209 S. Staples). With training and software provided by BLACKROCKET, youth will gain advanced knowledge working with high-tech programs that allow them to build, create and design their own computer programs, apps and animations. They’ll also improve social, critical thinking and problem–solving skills by working in pairs or teams. Sessions include Code Breakers, Lego Games, Making 3-D Video Games, Minecraft Modders, Minecraft Animators and Star Wars Stop Animation. Tuition is $130 for each one-week session. Registration is underway, Contact DMC Continuing Education at 698-1328 or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information also available at www.delmar.edu/ce.
• June 26-29All-State Choir Camp at Del Mar College Students entering grades 9 through 12 will receive instruction from outstanding experienced music educators. The camp promises to be exciting, instructive and fun as campers prepare to perform Texas Music Educators Association audition music. Camp covers sectional and full choral rehearsals, instruction in sight-reading, diction and vocal techniques. Highlights include a beach party, talent show, movies, dance, karaoke and more. Go to www.delmar.edu/music for more camp information and registration form. Questions? Contact the DMC Music Office at 698-1214 or Dr. Greg Graf at 698-1352, 573-915-2109 or email@example.com.